Wednesday, October 13, 2010

30 Day Spend and Save Challenge Update: Bring Cash When You Go Out

Having this spending plan has taught me a lot about my spending habits. In addition to being a shopaholic, I love to eat too. My original budget for eating out at restaurants was $40 this month. After this weekend, I have spent $106…and it’s only going to get worse. My birthday is next week and I plan to go out to dinner. I blame my friends for being born in the same month as me! I went out with my friend for her birthday last weekend and spent another $36 on a meal (too much money!)  

Fortunately, I think I have found a solution, so I won’t get into trouble again. One tip that financial planners give on sticking to a budget is to use cash. I understand why this works. I went out with my friend Friday and Saturday night.  I noticed that I spent less money the night I used cash instead of my debit card.  For now on, I am going to use cash anytime I go out with my friends.  This will prevent me from spending too much money. I have also decided to apply my extra spending at restaurants to my entertainment category for the rest of month. Eating out is a form of entertainment for me because I’m usually spending time with friends. But what will I do when my entertainment money runs out? I really don’t t have other areas where I can make up the difference. I not being FAIR to my money and I don’t know what to do. Can you guys help me?

1 comment:

  1. There is so much value to spending time with friends and maybe it is time to rethink where you go to socialize. I have found that planning to meet for coffee instead of dinner/lunch helps. Meet a park and take a picnic lunch from last night's leftovers or have them over to your place. It does take a bit more planning but it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete